Amazon cannot possibly be making any money

I have to share this because it’s too funny to keep to myself.

So you know how a few days ago one of the gazillion Amazon deals I shared was deeply discounted cookie sheets on the 4-for-3 deal?

If you know me, you know I likes me some cookies. You may or may not also know that I’ve been baking on some cookie sheets that were a wedding gift… from my first wedding. (Let’s do the math: Hello, 14-year-old cookie sheets!) So I went ahead and picked up 4 new cookie sheets for a grand total of $18.

The first funny thing is that I didn’t pay much attention to the sheet size, and each sheet is easily the size of two of my old sheets. So I now have enough cookie sheets to bake for the entire eastern seaboard.

The second funny thing is that Amazon sent each sheet in a separate box. This is one of the things that drive me insane about Amazon, all the boxes. But recall what I said above—the sheets are really large. And boxes are huge (easily large enough for 8 sheets apiece). So I opened the door for my kids this afternoon and there was a stack of boxes there taller than they are. And the kids got very excited, and were crushed to discover the tower of boxes was… really only four cookie sheets.

• Twitter
  • Kirtsy
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook

11 Responses to “Amazon cannot possibly be making any money”

Jen December 12, 2007 at 3:35 pm #

My garage is full of Amazon boxes…..my husband thinks I must have ordered enough Christmas presents for 5 seperate families, but it really wasn’t that much stuff. Why do they send a box large enough to hold a weeks worth of groceries with only a small memory card in it?

Monica December 12, 2007 at 3:48 pm #

I’m thinking about taking all these huge Amazon boxes and covering them with contact paper to make big fort-building blocks, kind of like Imagibricks?

Denise P. December 12, 2007 at 3:52 pm #

I agree with you. Amazon ships dinky little items in huge boxes. Pampered Chef is just as bad. I ordered a little sandwich cutter, it can fit in the palm of my hand yet it was delivered in a box big enough for 2 dvd players.

Stew December 12, 2007 at 3:54 pm #

What waste, really!

Angela December 12, 2007 at 4:08 pm #

Oh staples sent me a small plastic rular in its own 12x5x8ish box. And a seperate box another day for a thing of staples. Seriously some of these places blow my mind.

Elise December 12, 2007 at 4:08 pm #

Hopefully your town recycles cardboard. That’s the only thing that keeps me from feeling guilty about all the boxes!

Jamie December 12, 2007 at 4:20 pm #

I had a similar experience with ordering 3 flat lego “sheets” for the kids to build houses on from Amazon. Each came in it’s own huge boxes. Such a waste of resources!

Kerri December 12, 2007 at 4:32 pm #

I just told my hubby yesterday that the mail person must think I have ordered so much too. They must curse me daily, but really , it’s amazon, not me!

Dawn December 12, 2007 at 6:50 pm #

I hear you! My spare room upstairs is starting to look like an Amazon warehouse. Thank goodness for cardboard recycling!

Sharkey December 12, 2007 at 10:34 pm #

Do the cookie sheets fit in your oven? That’s where I thought the story was headed . . . .

Flea December 12, 2007 at 11:49 pm #

I inherited some fantastic cookie sheets when my MIL moved to a fancy new house with TWO ovens – and the ovens were too small for her deluxe cookie sheets. La dee dah. Hope you have a humongous ginormous oven. :)