Ever since posting this piece on owning a freezer, I have gotten several requests for more information. Several of you have asked where to put a freezer if you lack a garage or a basement. Excuse me while I scratch my chin and look thoughtful.
(On the inside, I’m thinking: Really? No basement or garage? Where do you put stuff?? Also, what should I have for a snack?)
But back to you. It turns out that my financial acumen and general good looks just don’t translate into preternatural appliance feng shui, so the answer to “where else can I put a freezer?” is pretty much “heck if I know.” I mean, I wouldn’t advocate sticking a freezer in your bathroom, but other than that, if you can find the space and you’re happy with it, g’head.
I also opened up my big mouth and offered to share a freezer buying guide, and no sooner did folks chime in with “yes, please do that,” then I realized that my freezer buying guide goes something like this:
1) Decide what size fits in the available space.
2) Decide if that’s the size you really want, or smaller.
3) Compare prices/models online. (Remembering, of course, that you do not want a frost-free model. You want a “deep freeze,” whether a chest or upright.)
4) Go for the best Energy Star rating you can find.
5) Buy it during a sale (for stores like Sears) or with a 10% off coupon (for stores like Lowe’s or Home Depot).
And, um, I bet you knew all of that already.
But! Several people also challenged me on the cost of owning/operating a freezer, which was a very smart point to bring up. In digging around, I discovered that The Dollar Stretcher did a great piece on just that. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I’m just going to point you over there. I mean, it’s not as entertaining as I am (and really, few things are), but there’s quite a few salient points deconstructed for consideration.
And I figured now was just the right time to share all of this, since many of you probably have hamburgers and hotdogs and other assorted charred foodstuffs coming out your ears at the moment. Land of the free, home of the barbecuers….